When I was younger, I always thought I would be married with kids by the time I was in my 40’s. It didn’t quite work out that way. I was married once, in my 20’s, which lasted nine years, and that was good enough for me. I never saw myself getting married again until I saw my long-lost love from twenty-five years ago on Facebook…go figure. But he wasn’t ready for me! 😉
I have always been a leader and in control of my life. I will never settle for less than what I deserve. No woman should ever have to settle! Being a leader and always in control may not fit everyone’s wants and desires. I know what I want and what needs to be done to get it. If you don’t have a partner who wants to grow with you, keep developing yourself.
I Am A Single Mother Of Four And An Entrepreneur. I Wouldn’t Change A Thing!
As a single female entrepreneur, there are some things you should know. First of all, don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t do it on your own. You can! And secondly, make sure to take care of yourself physically and emotionally. It’s so easy to fall when you are up so high. So what’s it like being a single female entrepreneur? It is challenging at times, but it’s also incredibly rewarding. Here are some tips for being a successful single female entrepreneur that I make an effort to follow.
- Get Out There – Many women crave marriage and children because they want someone with whom to share their day-to-day life. So start finding friends with whom you can share things like that – join local groups, join professional organizations, offer to help other people in public places (like the grocery store), and so forth. We often underestimate our value as companions and friends, but our willingness to be helpful is one thing we all have in common as humans – no matter what age or gender we might be.
- Don’t Focus On Dating – Well, not exclusively on dating. Being successful at your business means you need time to dedicate to developing and running your business. I tend to focus on my business and my children.
- Take Care Of Yourself – Part exercise every day for 30 minutes, part healthy diet with limited sugar and caffeine, part stress reduction techniques such as yoga or meditation, and so forth. This one right here is the hardest. I need that caffeine! But a slow, gradual change to hot water and lemon is sooooo good!
- Know Your Worth – One of the most important things a single female entrepreneur can do, is recognize her value, whether professionally or personally. Recognizing one’s value gives us confidence that carries over into everything we do in our lives, from work to relationships to family life. Female entrepreneurs are often very talented individuals who have a lot going for them where personal accomplishments are concerned; knowing this about ourselves allows us to see new possibilities in our lives.
- Don’t Assume That Everyone Is Like You – Female entrepreneurs come from all walks of life. While we may initially feel isolated because of our lifestyle or business focus, chances are there are many other women out there who share one or both of those traits.
- Don’t Let Fear Hold You Back – Female entrepreneurs face a lot of fears daily, like money fears (where will I get the next round of financing?), self-doubt (am I cut out for this? Can I ever be successful?), fear that comes with public speaking (how do you win over an audience), etc. If you want to do something but are afraid of it, use that fear to drive your success.
- Celebrate Your Achievements – Female entrepreneurs need to recognize their accomplishments just as much as anyone else does. Whether it’s a round of financing or the sale of your 100th product in a month, treat yourself! Celebrating accomplishments can be anything from buying a new pair of shoes because you deserve to embrace your achievements with friends and family, even if it’s over dinner. Set goals and crush them. By celebrating our successes, we can stay motivated enough to keep growing and improving in all areas of our life.
- Don’t Let Anyone Make You Feel Guilty – Female Entrepreneurs often take on more than they should in attempts to prove themselves or succeed. Doing so can leave them feeling guilty for not being there for their families, not spending enough time with friends, and not having fun. Female entrepreneurs need to take time for themselves, so they don’t burn out, physically or emotionally. Female entrepreneurs are women too!
- Embrace Your Role As An Entrepreneur – Female entrepreneurs should be proud of what they do. Female entrepreneurs are strong and intelligent individuals who have done amazing things globally. By dismissing ourselves as “just an entrepreneur,” we undermine that value that we bring to the human community by putting ourselves out there and doing our thing. Female entrepreneurs are the ones who will show the world what female entrepreneurs can accomplish!
- Support Other Single Female Entrepreneurs – Single Female Entrepreneurs need to support other female entrepreneurs because together, we are solid. There is always an opportunity to help someone else achieve their dreams (there’s no shortage of people who want something from female entrepreneurs!). Female entrepreneurs support each other simply by being our own biggest fans and sharing our stories so others can learn from them.
Owning a business in Digital Marketing as an entrepreneur is hard enough without letting others make you feel guilty for your choices. If you embrace your role as a single female entrepreneur, congratulations! You are taking a step towards independence and control over your life. And always remember, being prepared is the key to success, whether you have a backup childcare plan, stock up on business cards, or have the tools you need to be successful in your business. Make sure you have what you need so when an opportunity comes knocking, you can answer the door. Finally, don’t forget to support other female entrepreneurs – we all need each other! What has been your biggest challenge as a Single Female Entrepreneur/Mompreneur?